Lots of news about Mobile this week. Oh, and a little event with Facebook. It's what all the cool kids are talking about.
Westpac celebrates reaching 1 million regular mobile customers. Well done.
A great, in-depth article on the impacts of mobility on retail and e-commerce. A must read.
- How the humble app is changing the face of shopping - and retailers - Sydney Morning Herald (via @matthewsinclair)
Some interesting information about traffic referral to Shopify from Pinterest. It already rivals Twitter but Facebook is still king. More interestingly the average order size of Pinterest referrals is the highest of all referrers.
- Infographic - How Pinterest Drives Online Sales - Power Retail
Around the world
In case you haven't heard. Facebook has had an Initial Public Offering (IPO), that is they've gone public and now have money from public investors. What they'll do with it remains to be seen.
- Great Job, Wall Street and Facebook! The IPO Was Perfectly Priced... - Business Insider
As with any large scale event, there's always someone cranky. Was there some scullduggery with the Facebook IPO?
- Lawsuits pile up over Facebook IPO - Sydney Morning Herald
What about Facebook pulling out specific functionality into standalone mobile apps? We wonder what's going on there. Not to mention the release of an app that looks surprisingly similar to one they just bought...
Mobile is a heavily disruptive force. There are pretty pictures to prove it.
- Mobile Marketing Set to Create Havoc and Opportunities - Read Write Web (via @matthewsinclair)
Some interesting information on the usage of mobile. In another pretty picture.
Is reality creeping into the Big Data promise?
- ‘Big Data’ Can Be Hard to Harness - eMarketer
Rats and mice
Time to save that wasted food in bottles and jars. Watch the videos. Amazing.
- MIT's Freaky Non-Stick Coating Keeps Ketchup Flowing - FastCompany
Some very cool User Interface work for collaboration on 3D modelling. Watch the video here as well.
- A Mind-Blowing UI That Could Finally Make Group Work Intuitive | Co.Design: business + innovation + design - FastCompany
Remember Yahoo!? Well, they're back in the press. No, not for fudging a resumé but for a new internet browser. They're definitely getting press.
Yahoo launches Axis browser - The Washington Post
If you're enjoying the Roundup, you can get it shrink-wrapped and delivered automatically to your favourite rss/news reader by subscribing.
The roundup is digital, mobile, online and emerging technology news from Australia and around the world.