Well, it's Mother's day weekend here in Australia (isn't it at different times to spare postal services around the world?). We hope you've remembered to get Mum something nice. If not, why not try the world of online vouchers/coupons. A gift for mum straight from the printer.
On a completely different note, it seems it's digital wallet week again.
Digital, mobile, online and emerging technology news from Australia and around the world.
According to someone, Mother's Day is second to only Christmas in eGifts.
Actually, someone else thinks it's big business as well.
Digital wallets are nothing like the paperless office. Wallets are smaller. That said, something has to stick soon.
Interestingly CBA thinks "smartphone payments were safer than credit card payments because a PIN was required to access the phone and Wallet service and the phone could wiped of information remotely is it was lost or stolen". We wonder if that will translate into cheaper merchant fees?
- MasterCard PayPass Wallet trials with CBA & Westpac - Banking Review
This digital wallet approach includes a case for your iPhone with a fingerprint scanner. We're sure the Apple designers are wringing their hands about this one.
- iCache’s Geode – Secure Digital Wallet for iPhone – Wins 1st Place in Two Categories at CTIA E-Tech Awards - PYMTS.com
American Express is in on the mobile wallet action as well.
- Amex cards to work with Isis mobile wallet - Computerworld
Some things to consider about how, and how not, to service your customers online here. You can get it right and wrong irrespective if you're big or small.
- Miss Terry Shopper and the Smashed Art Deco Vase - PowerRetail
David Jones is really trying to get their e-commerce capability up to scratch.
- David Jones’ Digital Metamorphosis is No Small Task - PowerRetail
Anecdotally, we'd have to agree that most businesses aren't ready for the Australian National Broadband Network (NBN). It's a little hard to commit when it's so far off and political games keep moving the goalposts.
- Online Retailers Aren’t Prepared for the NBN - PowerRetail
Around the world
Social media? A waste of money without a plan?
Online social stats in coat hangers. What will they think of next?
Brazil's growing middle class is getting online. As is India's middle class. And they all want something nice.
Apparently the affluent in the US are an easy target for Luxury brands using mobile commerce (depending on your definition).
- Luxury Brand Apps Can Open the Mcommerce Door - eMarketer
Big data. Big data. Apparently people with cash know what it is. They're investing in it. The realities of most companies is that they're so parochial, how is it going to work?
- Investors are pouring funds into big data - Computerworld
More crowdfunding news. Another report with big numbers (but not that big).
- Crowdfunding raised $1.5 billion in 2011, says report - Computerworld
Rats and mice
We've previously mentioned the phenomena of online retailers getting into the bricks and mortar space. Well, what about an iphone game creator getting into theme parks?
- Angry Birds maker Rovio plans for amusement parks in China - Computerworld
Hello self-driving cars. Parked just around the corner with flying cars.
- Google gets first license for self-driving cars - Computerworld
If you're enjoying the Roundup, you can get it shrink-wrapped and delivered automatically to your favourite rss/news reader by subscribing.